SomnoGuard AP leads to a continuous lower jaw advancement from 0 to about 12 mm while allowing it to move laterally in a limited extent. Depending on the lower jaw advancement, the breathing track opening is widened so as to let you breathe freely without snoring. In the same time, breathing interruptions are reduced, in case of sleep obstructive apnea. With SomnoGuard AP, if you have a cold, you can breathe through your mouth in case of nasal obstruction.
SomnoGuard AP : 2 mouthpieces, 1 preservation box, 1 instructions for use, 3 adjustment screws (12, 16 et 20 mm) and 1 screwdriver.
- The mouthpiece with a front open guide is designed for the upper jaw (“upper mouthpiece”) and the one with a thread is for the lower jaw (“lower mouthpiece”).
- Fill up a container 10 cm diameter or more, with water to a height of 7 cm. For the shaping procedure, plunge the upper mouthpiece in hot water for 3 to 3½ minutes. The thermoplastic material becomes transparent and the mouthpiece will begin to float.
- Take off the upper mouthpiece from the water bath with a spoon , and let it cool down for 15 seconds. Check the temperature with your finger to avoid burning yourself. However, the material must stay soft.
- If you carry out by yourself the shaping procedure, it is advisable to use a mirror, for steps 5 to 7.
- First of all, carry on the shaping of the upper mouthpiece on the upper jaw, by positioning the incisors as close as possible to the inner face. The whole of the teeth set must bite simultaneously the mouthpiece, if possible 15 seconds after the withdrawal from the hot water bath, and up to the hard plastic part of the mouthpiece, then maintain this clenching during 5 seconds. Then, take off the mouthpiece from your mouth and let it harden in fresh water.
- Heat up the lower mouthpiece in the same manner with the screw almost up tight in the thread (12 mm length).
- After its withdrawal from the hot water bath, let the mouthpiece briefly cool down and then combine both mouthpieces. Put then the assembled mouthpieces into your mouth: arrange the upper mouthpiece which is already shaped, on the corresponding dental arch and bite the lower mouthpiece as close as possible to the inner face. The dental impression must be as deep as possible and be regular. Maintain your clenching for a brief moment. Then, take the mouthpiece off your mouth and let it harden in fresh water. Then, put the shaped mouthpiece in your mouth to check it.
- The lower jaw advancement can now be adjusted by turning the adjusting screw. The left and right marks of the screw canal are spaced out by 2 mm and the marks on the same side are spaced out by 4 mm.
- The stainless steel adjusting screws are of three different lengths : 12, 16 and 20 mm. For safety reasons, the screw tips must be inserted at least by 7 mm depth in the canal of 9 mm and must not go past this canal. According to results, use a smaller screw out of the set of three screws.
- If need be, the shaping procedure can be repeated according to the above explanations. Each mouthpiece can be reheated until the filling material softens. Press this latter inside the hull and spread it with your fingers. Shaping can be repeated according to the above instructions.
- To check the position, plunge both separated mouthpieces in hot water for 0 to 15 seconds, then assemble them. Put the mouthpieces in your mouth without changing the shape of the dental impression. Swallow your saliva as usual and massage the mouthpieces from outside to reach the ideal position. After one minute, take off the mouthpieces. If need be, it is possible to repeat the whole procedure, at any time, even later to improve the lower jaw position. It is advisable to check whether a jaw lateral movement is still possible. Now, the mouthpieces ought to be well positioned. If this is not the case, the shaping procedure must be repeated.
- An excess of thermoplastic material could, if necessary, be removed with scissors. To do this, plunge the upper or lower mouthpiece in hot water for about 10 seconds, then remove the excess with scissors and smooth with your fingers the still warm rims appearing in the polymeric mass. It is recommended to keep on offcuts for possible subsequent adjustments, needing additional material in hulls.
In order to obtain a satisfactory therapeutic result, it is advisable to let a doctor (ENT specialist or a dentist or a doctor working in a sleep lab) or his staff, carry out the SomnoGuard AP mandibular advancement mouthpiece shaping.
Lifetime of your SomnoGuard AP
Lifetime of your SomnoGuard AP lays between 12 and 18 months. To ensure an optimum service of your SomnoGuard AP, we recommend to change it after 18 months at most.
SomnoGuard AP advancement mandibular mouthpieces are of a great help to fight snoring and mild to moderate obstructive sleep apnea. People affected by obstructive sleep apnea must use this device only under strict medical supervision, after assessing the benefits and risks to their health (cardiovascular diseases) and after considering the other available alternative therapeutic forms (particularly CPAP for Continuous Positive Air Pressure or PPC). People affected by sleep apnea should move forward their jaw at least by 7 mm.